Prof. Selby: http://orcid.org/0000-0002-6444-1791
Law Teaching Strategies for a New Era: Beyond the Physical Classroom
After reviewing this chapter, readers will understand how to:
- Implement a faculty-led approach to improving online instruction at their institutions;
- Convene a faculty task force to spearhead that approach;
- Engage faculty members in productive discussions about the pedagogy of online law teaching;
- Prepare a set of institution-specific recommendations for improved online teaching; and
- Foster a faculty culture invested in innovating online instruction well beyond emergency use.
As so many platitudes tell us, challenges present opportunities. And the challenges of teaching law in a pandemic certainly created an avalanche, a flood, a—pick your natural disaster—of opportunity. Indeed, the sudden switch to online teaching occasioned by COVID-19 was a unique opportunity to start a discussion about law school pedagogy and technology that was, for at least some law faculties, long overdue.